-----


- Check the Treasure Chest to find cover/tracklist/informations about rare Dan Sartain Records such as Romance in Stereo as well as free tracks.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dan Sartain interview for the fans by the fans partII

You can read the first part of this interview HERE.

Q: Favorite John Reis story?
Dan Sartain: There are many. Once I walked into a coffee shop in Holland with Swami, and he asked for the menu. The guy behind the counter says "Do you want to get hi or stoned?", to which John replied "Yes".

Q: Can Bruce Dickinson play with madness?
Dan Sartain: He can play with my dick. Dio was great but I ain't fond of his imitators.

Q: Can you do the Wu Tang dance?
Dan Sartain: Not without embarrassing myself and anyone else who saw me do it.

Q: How does it feel to be the bastard child of Prince and John Waters?
Dan Sartain: I feel like that teenage girl who lived with Paul Reiser and the guy with a beard.

Q: Let's say that you are kidnapped by terrorists and forced to contribute a track to a compilation of prince covers. what track do you play and why? (or, alternately, do you just let the terrorists kill you)?
Dan Sartain: My name is Prince. And then I'd inquire about the 72 virgins thing.

Q: Is that a Dead Milkmen reference in Cobras Pt 2?
Dan Sartain: Yes.

Q: I hear alot of "Primitive" by The Cramps in "Bohemian Grove", what other kinds of music inspires your writing?
Dan Sartain: Primitive was a song by a band called the groupies. I thought it was a Cramps song for quite sometime though. And I not only ripped off the song Primitive...I flat out stole whole verses from it. I'm not trying to hide that fact. I wanted to draw parallels between the Primitives in the song 'Primitive' and the "Elites" who attend Bohemian Grove (and more specifically the cremation of care ritual).

Q: Why keeping releasing 7”s singles on small labels when you’re signed on One Little Indian?
Dan Sartain: One Little Indian has their eyes set on bigger goals than selling a few hundred 7"s of mine. That is not to say that I value the 7" records I do for other labels any less. To say that I like to have many pots in the fire would be inaccurate. I like to have many pots in many fires.

Q: As a thank you for going triple platinum on Dan Sartain Lives, your label gift you the funds to make an album of whatever you want and will release it for you - any style or subject, sales aren't important; it'd be pure self-Sartain indulgence. I'm thinking along the lines of an entire album of Chris Isaak covers with Pelle from The Hives, delta blues versions of the music from Star Trek or a jazz reinterpretation of Alice Cooper's greatest hits. What would you release?
Dan Sartain: Pelle from the Hives wound up being my Chris Isaak friend on that tour. He dug that guys work too. But to answer your question, it is hard not to just jack-off and do whatever I want with said resources at my disposal. Hopefully my label has enough confidence in my ability to judge shit from shineola, that they won't have to tell me an idea is too much. But judging by the WHOPPING record sales 'Dan Sartain Lives' had, who would second guess me now?

Q: What are your memories of playing shows at the boiler room in birmingham alabama?
Dan Sartain: The Boiler room was great. It predated the more recent clubs in Birmingham. I miss that place and it seemed to get a much needed ball rolling in again. The effect that place had on the city is still felt today. However.....the place it's self was fucking moronic. It was poorly planned and in a building that was WAY too huge. You could pack 200 kids in there and the place would still be 75% empty. It also had all the atmosphere of a school gymnasium. But (again) it was great, I have nothing but fondness for that place. It was the best idea and the worst execution. But if it were not for that place at that time, Birmingham would have been a completely unlivable place.

Q: Did you really go to barber school?
Dan Sartain: YES I WENT TO BARBER COLLEGE!! However I did not graduate. I learned all the skills I wanted to learn and more. But I am terrible at book work. The reason I went to barber college in the first place was due to the fact I was lousy at school work. I figured it would be all about learning hands on. I understand having to learn some general written rules and things when dealing in chemicals and hair processing. However that was not at all what I wanted to learn. I learned how to do flat tops, strait shaves, tapered, and layered cuts. That is all I wanted to know and all I needed to know to get the kind of job in I desired at the time. In other words, I could not give a shit less about giving an old lady a perm. It was not a total waste, I did get to spend a lot of time working in a real barber shop. I got to hear a lot of second hand WWII stories from vets who are without a doubt not with us today. Regardless of political ties or affiliation, it was interesting to hear stories from men who had been there. I was quite young at the time (17-18) and I was less patient than I am now. Perhaps I'd do ok at the book work now. My wish now is to go to a trade school to learn to fix up my car. As it stands, I am nearly 30, single, no kids...that car is my pride and joy. I fall in love again every time I see that car and it would just break my heart if I allowed time to take it's toll on her. Working on that car and seeing the progress unfold is thrilling to me. Especially when I know that none of it would get done were I not the one doing it. To me it is a symbol of hard work and accomplishment. Watching that car turn back time at my hands is every bit as gratifying as art has ever been to me. Which is both terrifying and wonderful.

1 comment: